Qualities of saintly persons – 3
October 30, 2009 Leave a comment
cakshur unmIlitam yena
tasmai srI-gurave namah
“I was born in the darkest ignorance, and my guru, my spiritual master, opened my eyes with the torch of knowledge. I offer my respectful obeisances unto him.”
Lord Krishna mentions to Arjuna, twenty six qualities, which we should aspire to inculcate in our nature. (The earlier two posts on the same topic, dealt with verses from Srimad Bhagavatam, while this is from Srimad Bhagavad Gita.)
These are mentioned in the first three verses of Chapter 16 of Srimad Bhagavad Gita.
Here are the first five of these qualities:
1. Fearlessness – The first quality mentioned is fearlessness (abhayam).
2. Pure-heartedness or purification of one’s existence.
3. Cultivation of spiritual knowledge
4. Charity (given to worthy recipients from what one legitimately owns)
5. Self-restraint (controlling the mind from being influenced by sense objects)
Here is the first verse in Samsritam:
(The above material was collected from sites on the Internet.)